proper tuning of a nitro engine ????

Discussion on reviews of Glow/nitro and gas engines

proper tuning of a nitro engine ????

Postby siang » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:42 am

Hi all,
Just about 4 weeks ago, I blew a hole thru the piston on my raptor, haha. This is the second time, first was when I first started off with this hobby.
I'd the govr set up for the first time on my raptor, rev up the rpm to 2050 but it doesn't seem to fly as active as my trex, also with a govr. So, I lean it up and it then came alive. I love it, lol, but the consequence ... hole in piston, lol. I didn't land it to test the temp (my mistake), just pure enjoyment flying with the new found power.
I'm ok with setting of heli and transmitter but not with tuning of engine. Of course, to tune it flyable is kind of easy but to tune it correctly is what I'm trying to learn. For the first time I heard of the pinch test which I'll try it out as soon as the ground of my club dries up. Any advice of how to do a proper tuning?
Also, I had a spare engine(TT50), which I had taken out to replace the OS50 with the blown piston. I have move the low needle for cleaning up. How do I start off witht the tuning? I did try to start it on my backyard. All it did was fire up then shut down as soon as the glow plug charger of my 2in1 went off. So I lean out the low end needle, seem to last longer but still shut down and this time the plug (OS no8) got blown ... twice. Both are used plug anyway. I've got some new plugs in (OS#8 ans OS#7 but yet to try it, taught it's wise to seek some advice here :). Is there any good on OS#7?
Thanks in advance :)
siang

Re: proper tuning of a nitro engine ????

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:02 am

If you blew a piston before and you're blowing plugs now then something is wrong with your setup -- you're getting very bad detonation.

How much nitro are you running and what muffler.

I've seen a guy blow his TT50 through detonation using a badly set-up tuned muffler configuration too.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby siang » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:58 am

Oh, it's the muffler that come with the TT50. I've set it up woth OS50 and have been flying for 2 yrs now. hmmm, lol, let me try to explain again on the set up b4 n now, with the muffler.

Over 2 yrs ago, TT50 and stk muffler than came with the model, piston blew off running too lean within 1 month, lol.

Change over to OS50 with the stk muffler, got the TT50 repaired and kept in box :), been flying for over 2 yrs now :).

Recently, had a govr set up for the first time, play around with govr rev and the tuning needles ... blew the piston.

Change over the TT50, with the same muffler, start then off as soon as the glow plug charger went off. Lean it up the low needle (the one in the throttle arm), stay up longer but went off but this time with the glow plug blown ... twice. OS 50 awaiting repair.

Got the new plug in but yet to try :)
siang

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 pm

So how much nitro are you running?

10% should be *heaps* for the TT50.
RCModelReviews

Postby siang » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:28 am

oops sry, Its 20 percent nitro :).
siang

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:04 pm

Drop the nitro content to 10%.

It'll reduce the risk of detonation and unless you're flying hardcore 3D you'll never notice the small reduction in power.

You'll also save a fair bit of money on your fuel costs too!

In fact, you could go as low as 5% nitro without any worries.
RCModelReviews

Postby siang » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:17 am

Oh, sweet. I've almost used all of my 20%. I intend to go back to 15%. I hope that's fine. I've never heard of detonation b4, lol. If the weather hold, I may want to try em out tomorrow. I'll need the 15% nitro thou hmmmmm..... Oh heck, I'll make a drive down to Grants :).
siang

Return to IC engines