Life batts in tx?

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Life batts in tx?

Postby quarry44 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:34 am

I've read all about the $8 tx batt conversion,but am I missing something?
3x 3.3v=9.9v.Why can I not use 3 of these cells in,say,a Futaba FF7 tx?
I don't want to faff about with sm components,I have enough trouble with the old stuff.(seeing them,that is,never mind soldering them).
quarry44

Re: Life batts in tx?

Postby Shotglass » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:32 am

you can and it works perfectly fine
both my transmitters run on 3s life
Shotglass

Postby Keith » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:49 am

I've used a lipo and life Tx battery and stuffed them both by accidentally leaving the Tx switched on... Gone back to Bruce's $8 mod...
I use er9x, be good if they could write code that turned it off after say 10 minutes inactivity...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby Fly2High » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 pm

I have a question or two. the say you should store your LiPOs at 3.8 whatever volts, a storage voltage. At the same time, they say you can chage these Tx batteries up once and use them for several months on a single charge.

How long should you leave a fully charged LiPO before needing to discharge it to a storage charge?

For how many days, weeks or months can you leave a LiPO fully charged and not have ill effects?

I like the idea of being ready to fly but if I need to discharge the battery after use since I probably will not use it in full and then recharge it anyway to full capacity before flying, what is the point besides having the full charge done in about 1-1.5 hours?

Is the need to store them at a storage voltage ture for LIFe cells? If so, what is the voltage for them to be stored at?

I have seen NiMH up in the 1650 mAh capacity so there isn't a benefit to greater flying time in the LIFe cells. Other than the quick charge, what is so great about them for Txs?

thanks. Still interested in LIFe cells for Txs but need more education......

Frank
Fly2High

Postby quarry44 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:44 am

I don't have any LiFe batts as yet,but I will definitely get some.For one thing,you only need 2 cells as against 4 nimh/nicad(or 3 against 8 for a tx),so that must be a weight saving.However, the main advantage as far as I can gather,is that LiFe have no memory effects,and a very low discharge rate.
I assume they need a similar storage rate as Lipo's.But another plus for Life is they don't seem to catch fire in such a hurry.That's something that's always worried me about Lipo's.
quarry44

Postby quarry44 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:19 pm

I've just realized I made a boo-boo.The Life's are 3.7v,not 3.3.
Even so,that's 11.1v for 3,so would that be too much when fully charged?Or is 3.7v the fully charged capacity?
I've seen the LiFe tx pack that Hobbyking sells(cheap),so is that safe in a normal 8-cell type tx?
quarry44

Postby ergocentric » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:32 am

eight cells at 1.5 Volts (alkaline cells) is 12 Volts, most transmitters are good to this level, most.
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries