HK 5.8Ghz System with IBCrazy Antennas - Video

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

HK 5.8Ghz System with IBCrazy Antennas - Video

Postby bmsweb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 am

Hi Guys as some of you may already be aware, Thomas (my son) and I have been playing around with FPV on our Bixler. Unfortunately work has been keeping me busy lately hence why I've been so quite. I made up a few sets of Skew Planars and Clover Leaf antennas and finally go to try it out on our model today and it was AWESOME! I've very happy with the results so far. When banking no more issues at all. Only getting Multi-Pathing as the model is directly over head.

When flying with the original HK antennas we would get noise when banking and could reach the road around the park without the signal getting noisy. As you will see in this video we can easily fly outside the park without any issues at all. I plan on testing the range of the Turnigy before attempting any longer range flights, but so far its looking very promising . . time for bed as I am BUGGERED :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otKvdVdK13U

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb

Re: HK 5.8Ghz System with IBCrazy Antennas - Video

Postby Sid Sideslip » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Good stuff Paul. I'll certainly be making some of those antennas for my set-up. Some photos of your gear would be appreciated. Also, your wiring diagram for connecting it all together on the plane, as I'm a bit confused with the new version of the Remzibi OSD I have (which seems to be the same as yours). I have more wires than I know what to do with, so some photos of your rig would be a great help Paul.

I've got everything together now except for a cheap video camera to record my flights from the Rx and of course FPV goggles, which is a story in itself.

I actually got hold of a set of HeadPlay goggles cheaply, but they are just horrible to use and anyway the "liberator" box died on me after only a few days. I think it's just a blown fuse, as the power light comes on and then goes off after a few seconds, which others have said is not the end of the world. Whatever, the damn things are useless for FPV as the exit pupil (cone of light that enters your eyes) is so narrow that the tiniest misalignment stuffs up the image so that you can't see the edge of the screens. Also the optics just suck and both images are out of alignment horizontally, like really cheap binoculars. I'd be happy to send them to Bruce to review, plus he could probably fix the damn "liberator" box's fuse, which also has the world's worst connector for the goggles, so easy to break that too. Grrr.

Piece of shit, so be warned all and stay well away from them, even if they are cheap now (because they are no longer being made).

So, I ordered a set of FatShark goggles (not the newer ones, because they have no inter pupil distance adjustment). Anyway they have been in the country for over two weeks and have just disappeared in the system. I'm very much afraid they have been stolen or lost or whatever. The one really expensive order from HobbyKing and it stuffs up. More grrr.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby bmsweb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:25 am

Hi Sid,

I plan on doing a video of the complete setup including how its all wired together since I've been getting a lot of PM, emails and messages asking about it. Hopfully it will help rather than confuse :)

Sorry about the dramas you've had with the goggles . . I could share a similar story too but I wont go into it other than I got scammed by someone on ebay . . but paypal refunded so all is good . . . other than the time wasted waiting for goggles. I'm really blown away by the antennas and i can't wait to do some serious FPV flying with them.

The setup we have now is really good and touch wood seems to be working very solidly! After another couple of tests we will do some driving to some nice locations for some serious FPV fun. Its a total blast :D

As far as recording flights, I have a Mini DVD camera that records the video from the FPV camera on the basestation and I also have a HD KeyChain camera the records better quality video for playback. I plan on changing to a GoPro soon . . just need to decide on either the Hero2 or 1
bmsweb

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:14 am

It's really great that you are doing all this pathfinding for us Paul, also even better that you are finding success. I look forward to seeing your set-up explained in detail on the video...that will be be much appreciated.

I plan to get one of those crocolis HD cameras rather than the Hero (cheaper)..and I will strip it down and make a new case and interchangeable lens set up (the one area I know about).

I guess we should also be thinking about better antennas for the 9x transmitters too. But if I get 1 to 2 kms to start with I'll be happy as a pig in muck(actually to start with I'll only fly some few hundred metres). There are lots of beautiful scenery here a short drive away to fly over.

Anyway, thanks to the irony gods (and Fury's latest post) I'm nursing a bruised little finger from starting a glow engine today. I gotta wise up and use a chicken stick! Or just get faster flipping the prop. ;-)
Sid Sideslip

Postby bmsweb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:25 am

Well interestingly when I was flying over the little pond just outside of the park the GPS indicated I was 210 meters away from home. When I was at that point Thomas (my son) actually commented "Dad I can't really see which way the model is going, you know you're pretty far away" In any case when I told him i was heading back towards us and he couldn't actually tell visually until it was around 160-170 meters away. Its really surprising just how close we must normally fly with our models. Back to the point I was trying to make, if 210meters look far then image flying out 5 to 10 times that distance! (ie 1 to 2 klms) It would be bloody awesome!!

You could do some serious exploring at that range.

As far as starting motors I went down the path of a Starter a long time ago! Saved my fingers and started engines so much easier :)
bmsweb

Postby bmsweb » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:01 am

Here is the video of my setup on the Bixler including a quick run down on where and how things are connected.

Cheers
Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dUCXhnqZPA
bmsweb

Postby rogueqd » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:24 am

bmsweb wrote:I plan on changing to a GoPro soon . . just need to decide on either the Hero2 or 1
I have the original HD Hero. I didn't know there was a "2" until I read your post, lol.

I've become a little dissatisfied with mine as it has a CMOS sensor. I checked out the "2" and it still has a CMOS sensor. They have a great lens, I use frames from my 1080p videos as wallpapers on my media PC and they look excellent, but the CMOS sensor really let's them down vibration-wise. Have a rethink before you buy one and consider getting a camera with a CCD sensor.
rogueqd

Postby bmsweb » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:00 am

The main issue with the GoPro is the Rolling Shutter but if everything is kept smooth then you can get excellent footage. I think its just something we need live with unless someone comes up with something better
bmsweb

Postby bmsweb » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:14 pm

We still don't have our FrSky Receivers so still testing with stock 9X. Two videos this time. Just over 300 meter flight and no issue with video link even when banking at that distance :)

FPV flight view from ground
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl3kUJ-G15c

FPV flight view from onboard camera and OSD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZOV4pkEWc

I should receive all of Thomas' new FPV gear and I'll be making his Skew Planar and Clover which I plan on videoing should anyone want to make a set
bmsweb

Postby Sid Sideslip » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:39 am

Excellent videos Paul. You are building up quite a library of useful media for people getting into this aspect of the hobby and I for one really appreciate your efforts (and those of Thomas too of course).

I also envy you the fine weather in the latest stuff. Yet again it was the pits in the pits here in Tasmania during Spring....not only wind, but then rain put paid to our Sunday flying.

Arse.
Sid Sideslip

Next

Return to FPV