Turnigy 9x DIY evolutionary path - comments?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Turnigy 9x DIY evolutionary path - comments?

Postby pldb64 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:01 am

Hi All,

Firstly - thanks to Bruce for providing this forum and the marvellous indepth information. As a newbie, its been invaluable and i promise i'll take back all those nasty things i said about New Zealanders after you beat us Aussies in the World Cup! :-)

So i've been reading and watching a heap of information about the Turnigy 9x and the various DIY extensions/alterations that can be made to improve the base functionality/capabilities. I'd be really interseted to get feedback from those that have completed the various extensions as to which is the more complex and more worthwhile.

For those that choose to provide feedback, would you mind rating the steps i've suggested (or any others that you think worth including in teh mix) according to the following triplet (A - pilot level at which it becomes useful, B - usefulness, C - complexity). A would be ranked novice, intermediate, advanced, expert, B would be ranked 1 - 10 with 1 being a waste of time & 10 being the best thing since sliced bread, C would be ranked 1 - 10 with 1 being "a trained monkey could do this mod" & 10 being "you need a PhD in electronics to do this".

So my thoughts on a DIY evolutionary path would be as follows:
1. Purchase the stock standard Turnigy 9X (A - all, B - 7, C - 1)
2. Purchase the USB connector for simulator usage (A - all, B - 9, C - 1) : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0-al ... ngle-51480
3. Make the DIY modification to allow buddy boxing (addition of 1K resistor across track 6) - (A - novice, B - 6, C - 3)
4. Make the DIY modification to change to FrSky Tx/Rx as per Bruce's youtube video (A - all, B - 8, C - 5)
NB. Any comments as to whether or not the telemetry compatible option as being sold on Hobby King is preferable for future upgrade path and whether this is to be fitted the same way as per Bruce's instructions? Part options seem to be either 14353 FFrSky V8HT 2.4Ghz DIY Module or 17205 FFrSky DHT 8ch DIY Telemetry Compatible Transmitter Module
5. Find a willing instructor and go fly a lot
6. Make teh DIY modification to allow use of custom software (eg ER9X) as per http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... 3b43dd7d0d (A - intermediate+, B - 4, C - 6)

Any comments or other projects or modifications worth considering?

Thanks
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Re: Turnigy 9x DIY evolutionary path - comments?

Postby pldb64 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:05 am

Oppps ... forgot to include the transmitter battery change to LiFe mod ... that should probably be #3 shouldn't it!
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby GRM » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:39 am

Hi,

I'm just a newbie and I've done the Smartieparts upgrade. It's easy enough to do and the ER9x software, gives a lot of power. I had a minor problem and Smartieparts were quick to assist. Amazing they they could design a board to fit in and not require soldering. Having said that I am yet to properly set of the er9x software - as there is complexity which will take time to get on top of. But it is a hobby after all and that is the point - to learn and enjoy and fiddle with new stuff. I'm interested in playing with telemetry - so that was another reason for wanting 9x and the Smartieparts board. Plus open source is always best as you get lots of new ideas being taken on board by the developers and the software improves rapidly.

A simulator definately is a must have IMHO . It takes time to get used to controlling a plane because of the difference in the stick operation when the plane is coming at you instead of awat from you. The more you practice the more intuitative it becomes.

I bought one of these off ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6CH-USB-3D-RC-Helicopter-Airplane-Flight-Simulator-/390187960410?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item5ad903c85a for $20 and a copy of Clearview [/url]http://rcflightsim.com/[/url] for $40. Clierview looks to be as good as Realflight - but has Clearview has way more planes because they can be built by users. Phoenix looks good - but is pricey and there are not as nearly as many planes. Certainly I love flying in Clearview and have quickly improved my flying ability with it. I've read reviews where people say they have tried Real Flight and Phoenix but always come back to Clearview.

I tried doing the Bruce's battery mod but have finished up with 2 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=17955. Easier, cheaper & more elegant.

Cheers.
GRM

Postby Fury » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:42 am

Very Quickly.

I highly recommend a flight simulator. I know it has saved me a lot of money in crashes etc.
Now in staying that I totally destroyed my Hobby King Fox V2 today in a heavy crash that
completely broke the nose and the batteries in it. No matter it cut my leg once so it deserved
to die.

I got the Real Flight 5.5 Simulator which came with a controller with USB connection.
It was not cheap, however I like the idea of being able to flight FPV as well.
The selection of planes, gliders and those evil heli's is very good.

I have the Turnigy 9X mode 2 and I love it. I have the FrSky running on it.
Not the DIY version, but the plug in the back module. I followed Bruces
video and cut the wire and removed the stock antenna. It looks weird, however
I get well over 2k range.

I got all this from hobby king. The turnigy 9x was on backorder, however I had
it in my hot little hands in under 3 weeks. I even ordered another one 2 weeks
ago and it has been dispatched 2 days ago, so don't worry about the backorder thing.

That's all from me

Fury.
Fury

Postby quarry44 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I have 2 9x's on the way,so I'm wondering about no.6.What sort of functionality does this add?Is it worthwhile for a sport flier like myself?I'm already using Frsky,so that's definitely on the cards.I've also got the blue backlight kit ordered,I've seen one without it,and it's very hard to read.That mod would be A-all,B-10,C-2.
quarry44

Postby Keith » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:50 pm

I have 2, one has the blue backlight the other white... The white is easier to see....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby quarry44 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks,Keith,now I have to order a white one as well:)
quarry44

Postby John_Edward » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:10 am

Red backlight would be best for night flying, sadly there isn't one like that :\
But yeah, white is much better than blue.

Now for the simulator part, that 12-in-1 dongle actually comes with (pirated, ofc) versions of the simulators.
That is, Phoenix RC 3(?), RealFlight 4G and 5G, Virtual RC Racing and couple more.

Illegal, yes. But useful.
But they do come in "Banana Digital" DVDs, which are awesome.
I want Banana Digital discs !
http://www1.dealextreme.com/productimag ... 1480_5.jpg
Humanity is conformity
Conformity is society
Society is this reality
John_Edward

Postby disco stu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:27 am

I have the ER9x firmware and I love it. Its pretty easy to understand (I think), and its got a hell of a lot of features. I didn't persist with the stock firmware for long so I can't compare to that, as I needed to be able to assign stick to different channels. You can even do all your mixing on the computer before uploading it to the Tx
disco stu

Postby rogueqd » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:59 pm

You do not need step 3 if you are going to do step 4. The problem that the resistor solves is actually in the module circuitry, not the radio, so once you replace the module with the FrSky DIY kit you no longer need the resistor. If you are getting the FrSky DIY kit, get the telemetry one. They are almost the same price and the telemetry one will last you a lot longer.

I would rate the Smartieparts board as C-2, being easier than the resistor mod, and the er9x software as A-novice B-8 with the original 9x software being A-almost useless B-2. The er9x software is more complex but also more intuitive than the original software, so I'd recommend upgrading as soon as you want to program more than one switch, saving yourself the headache of learning the original which can only ever program two switches anyway.
rogueqd

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)