Noob question about GUID Memory

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Noob question about GUID Memory

Postby Modulus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 am

Hey all, I'm new to RC in general but don't want to shell out $400 for a transmitter.
My Blade mSR came with the MLP4DSM, and I wanted more.. so I came across the specs on the transmitter inside of that controller, and have since removed it, put it on an arduino, and rigged up a Wii Nunchuck, which works fine to fly the mSR around in the house, albeit crudely.

A friend gave me the FrSky DJT module, which appears to be awesome from everything I've read about it, and I'll probably end up with the T9X running er9x, but for now, I want to experiment with some other options..

My question is this: Most of the controllers I see are able to store multiple models without having to rebind to each receiver.. Looking at the DJT and PPM in general, I don't see how the controllers are able to uniquely identify the receivers.. I did read about GUIDs, but haven't come across anything definitive yet.. Since the modules only have Vcc,GND, and TX, I'm guessing the GUID is sent out during the binding process and the receiver remembers the transmitter?

Am I all wrong on this? Anyone have details?

Thanks
Modulus

Re: Noob question about GUID Memory

Postby FlyingTiger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 am

I can't give you technical details but basically the models are stored in the transmitter memory as mixes and channel assignments, not individual receiver matches. If you have a model stored and loaded as normal 4 channel (ail, rud, elev, throttle) but the plane you are getting ready to fly is a 3 channel elevon mix you will crash. The signal sent will control any receiver you have bound to the Tx regardless of what plane it is in. Therefore, always be sure you have your planes turned off before changing models on the transmitter. You don't want to risk a plane on the bench going to full throttle by accident.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby Modulus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:23 am

Thanks for the response, I understand the channels, mixing, model differences for helis/planes/etc.. My question is at a lower level, more of a question regarding the internal function of the controller, not so much the transmitter module in the controller.. Somehow, the controller can bind to multiple receivers, and doesn't need to rebind each time you fly.. I'm thinking maybe it's actually the receiver that remembers the transmitter's GUID, and the TX doesn't need to store anything..
Modulus

Postby Aussie Joe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:46 am

Modulus wrote:Thanks for the response, I understand the channels, mixing, model differences for helis/planes/etc.. My question is at a lower level, more of a question regarding the internal function of the controller, not so much the transmitter module in the controller.. Somehow, the controller can bind to multiple receivers, and doesn't need to rebind each time you fly.. I'm thinking maybe it's actually the receiver that remembers the transmitter's GUID, and the TX doesn't need to store anything..

Hi,

All 2.4GHz transmitter's have there own unique GUID code, when you bind a receiver it learns that transmitter's GUID code and will only respond to that Tx.

I allso agree with what FlyingTiger said but there is one exception to that, "JR/Spektrum DSM2" thay have a system called "Model Match" it's allmost like
having a Guid code for every model memory in that transmitter, no more accidental start up's and no more crashes from selecting the wrong model memory .

Allso "DSM2" will only work with "DSM2", "FASST" will only work with "FASST", and "DSSS" will only work with "DSSS", ect .
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks