Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Review: Turnigy 9X version 2 (FHSS).

Postby quarry44 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:11 am

My $40us turnigy 9x has arrived!To be on the safe side,I got 2,and both appear to be working fine.
Now a few queries.I will fit a frsky diy module to at least 1,or maybe both.However,I seem to remember reading somewhere that the standard(ie non-telemetry) modules and receivers were going to be phased out.
Is this true?I don't want to fit a standard one,only to find I can't get any more spare rx's for it.
I also want to convert to er9x,but the telemetry frsky seems to need some complicated faffing about with the firmware and the hardware,eg,working on the 9x's pcb's,in addition to just fitting the diy module.
Does the standard frsky need this too when used with er9x?
I'm using frsky on 3 other tx's,so i'd like to stick with that if at all possible
quarry44

Postby J.Richert » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 am

Stock Turnigy 9X has 8 model memory, but if you reflash it with ER9X you have 16 up-front, depending on your memory requirements :lol:
Powerful system after being reflashed :!:
J.Richert

Postby AlisterL » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:22 am

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why there is a $15 price difference between the mode 1 and mode 2 9x transmitters at Hobby King? Seems a bit weird to me.
AlisterL

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:45 am

AlisterL wrote:Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why there is a $15 price difference between the mode 1 and mode 2 9x transmitters at Hobby King? Seems a bit weird to me.

Shhhhhhshh...! don't tell them! I want to buy a few more before they realise they are exactly the same, and a few seconds with a screwdriver eliminates any difference.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby quarry44 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:20 pm

I ordered mode2,but after flashing with er9x ,I somehow ended up with mode 1!
Took me a while to work out the changes required to bring it back to mode 2.
The er9x is a wonderful thing,but the manual seems to be a little short on details.Maybe Bruce's one will add a few of those basic moves required.Some of us are ok with a soldering (soddering? :lol: )iron,but knowledge of programming on the sketchy side.
I've just fitted the $8 battery in mine.Will post a couple of pics when i take them. :roll:
quarry44

Postby AlisterL » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 pm

LOL, thanks Bill, I won't tell. Maybe they have to use their left hands to do the other mode and it takes longer or something... :D
AlisterL

Postby quarry44 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:20 am

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why there is a $15 price difference between the mode 1 and mode 2 9x transmitters at Hobby King? Seems a bit weird to me.

I think they do this so you'll get sick of waiting for the $40 price :shock: They're hoping you'll buy one at the higher price,perhaps giving them at least a little profit margin.In any case,I'm sure the $40 trick is used to get you to buy other bits to make it up to a certain weight class.It works :mrgreen: .I bought2,plus little bits to make it up to the 3kg limit.
But even at $55,it's still a bargain in my book.By the time you buy a programmer to convert to er9x,a Frsky module,and $8-10 battery conversion,you've probably spent the better part of $120.
Still a lot cheaper than most others.
quarry44

Postby AlisterL » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:28 am

quarry44 wrote:
I think they do this so you'll get sick of waiting for the $40 price :shock: They're hoping you'll buy one at the higher price,perhaps giving them at least a little profit margin.In any case,I'm sure the $40 trick is used to get you to buy other bits to make it up to a certain weight class.It works :mrgreen: .I bought2,plus little bits to make it up to the 3kg limit.
But even at $55,it's still a bargain in my book.By the time you buy a programmer to convert to er9x,a Frsky module,and $8-10 battery conversion,you've probably spent the better part of $120.
Still a lot cheaper than most others.

I suspect you are right - I was just hoping that it wasn't so, uh, dumb a reason as that. I totally agree about buying the extra bits too. I have no self control, that's the problem...
AlisterL

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:45 am

quarry44 wrote:I ordered mode2,but after flashing with er9x ,I somehow ended up with mode 1!
Took me a while to work out the changes required to bring it back to mode 2.
The er9x is a wonderful thing,but the manual seems to be a little short on details.Maybe Bruce's one will add a few of those basic moves required.Some of us are ok with a soldering (soddering? :lol: )iron,but knowledge of programming on the sketchy side.
I've just fitted the $8 battery in mine.Will post a couple of pics when i take them. :roll:

The manual is a bit basic but as you probably found the information is there, you have to sit and play with it and then suddenly it becomes obvious as you get into the way of thinking of the guy who programmed it, to get the mixes and switches working the way you want you just have to play and play until you get it, then it's easy next time. Just pretend it's a video game..
Don't leave learning the programming until you get to the flying field you'll get frustrated if you do. :oops: :(
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby francoishaha » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:11 pm

i want to remove the module from my turnigy 9x v2, to replace it by rmilec module! but i want to keep the turnigy module plug and play. i found a video on you tube that show how to remove the 2.4Ghz module and i want to know if this guy is doing the job right. Is it safe to do that way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W74Acmam_0c
francoishaha

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers