FPV visor discussion

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV visor discussion

Postby Rixx » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Regardless of actual camera and LCD resolutions, I need sharp image to read OSD :)
Rixx

Postby Rixx » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 am

By now, I've done some first FPV flights. WOW! What else can I say :D. Really thrilling experience. Without GPS or RTH I didn't dare to go further than 500 meters, judging by google map. I had spotter with binoculars as backup in case video would go out, but I had perfect picture most of the time. Sometimes I got weak signal if I flew out of antenna coverage or I moved my head (I have video rx and helix mounted on the visor). I had some static and blackouts if I flew close around me without moving antenna, but it was perfectly flyable and picture always came back instantly. Quite nice for landing retries :). Visor works really well and I'm not spending big $$$ on fpv googles any soon. I'll just add soft dark padding around face piece, and RX voltage indicator LED inside.
Rixx

Postby Coverdown » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 pm

I am also thinking of building my own FPV visor.
Looking for parts, I found this.

1. Reading this thread I saw that +4.0 dioptre still was not enough so would +6.0 be better/enough ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strong-Reading- ... 043wt_1139

2. Getting a good LCD is proving to be a harder then expected.
Very hard to say if they blue screen or not when experiencing lots of noise.
Real and claimed resolution is often not the same.
I have had good experience with http://www.dealextreme.com/ so I am thinking of going with these.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/et-350-3-5 ... v-dc-39044 or the bigger one
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/et-430-4-3 ... v-dc-47973

Which size would better for an FPV visor, 3.5 inch or 4.3 inch?
I will be mounting everything on a ski mask.
Coverdown

Postby Rixx » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:41 am

I took shot in the dark with my LCD, but fortunately it works OK. Actual screen resolution doesn't matter much for me, with my 420 LTV camera it is enough for orientation. It would be another story if I had some fancy cam, like gopro HD or something :). Those LCDs at DX seem quite pricey, and it takes forever to get something delivered. I cannot say if larger LCD would be better or not. Draw both sizes to piece of paper and try various glasses to check relative sizes and distance of lcd from your face.

+6 glasses could deform image, you better first get LCD, connect everything and take it to optician to try the glasses. I tried mine with my cellphone :).

With image size it is just like watching small TV or being in cinema. If you like the movie, screen size doesn't matter (much ;) )
Rixx

Postby msev » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:56 am

I'm really having a hard time to choose which lcd to buy, there is the 22$ - 18 euro dx lcd that seem like the one you are using - but some user on rcgroups reported that it goes blackscreen pretty quickly...and there is that more expensive one on dealextreme (for 30 euro) that a user on rcgroups said its very good with handling static..And there is yours Rixx which doesn't have buttons also for 22$, but seems to have good behaviour with static....What to choose :), probably your version...Could you make a video of it's behaviour when you try to induce static? That will make it easier for me to choose.
msev

Postby Rixx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:48 am

Ok, Ill try on the weekend. I had exactly the same problem with decison. But at the price & quality of cheapest HK googles, the worst LCD choice would give me better resolution for far less money. I wouldnt go for too pricey LCD. I got this cheap one to fly some fpv while some better quality googles get more accessible. HK got some new ones, fatshark predator - 640x480 resolution, headtracker and integrated 5.8Gz rx, for about 200 euros. Not too bad. But I'll wait some more :)
Rixx

Postby msev » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm also gonna send an email to Bruce if he'll want to tell me which lcd's he had tested already.
msev

Postby Rixx » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Sorry, I couldn't any sooner. That fist on camera is holding cloverleaf antenna. I was in oher room holding helix and turning around to get static. Hope that helps.

http://youtu.be/gG5sC69Fl2U
Rixx

Postby msev » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks Rixx! Good job... I think it does a pretty good job if one doesn't push the limits too far :)..I'm pretty happy.. :D It's behaviour is similair to the small one that has buttons, maybe even a bit better.
msev

Postby Rixx » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Yup, I was surprised how well it works for such price. In the vid, both antennas (bare wire) were squeezed in hands so the signal had to be weak and distorted heavily. At the field I tried flying circles around me without aiming RX antenna, and I had only about 2 dropouts for a 360 degs circle, lasting for split second. Then image came right back. I think LCD is okay if you build some good antennas.
Rixx

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks