Turnigy TH9X switch activated LED Backlight timer

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Turnigy TH9X switch activated LED Backlight timer

Postby westy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:15 am

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right spot, but I was thinking of sussing out a timer circuit so that the LED back-light mod (X-HK) will energise (light up) for 30 seconds then turn off back-light when:

1. any button is pressed on the TX
2. turn on the tx

I was thinking of using a 555 timer and building a circuit around that....

Any ideas? has this been done? (I am sure it has on most other things like car radios etc....

Just thought it would be kind of cool ... and save bat power for more fun flying time..... hope someone here has go the know how and willing to help me achieve my goal here....

not too sure what the switch voltages are .... still waiting for my V2 TX to arrive
====================

Also... not too sure ... but if I was to take a trigger signal to start the timer circuit from any button on the TX .... would I need to have a Diode on each signal feed to prevent back current to the rest of the switches?

Look forward to your reply
Cheers
Westy
westy

Re: Turnigy TH9X switch activated LED Backlight timer

Postby Coverdown » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:23 pm

This feature is build in the er9x firmware for the TH9X.
You would have to flash your TH9X to the er9x firmware.
After you have flashed your TH9X use this guide to install the back-light so it can be controlled by the software.
http://www.modelisme.com/forum/1611489-post16.html
Coverdown

Postby Aussie Joe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi Westy,

I have been wanting to do a very similar thing for my TX. But I have the same problem as Bruce, to many projects and not enuff time.

The way I will turn on my backlight is to tap in to the piezo speaker so that every time the Tx beeps, it turn on the backlight automatically.

I will use a small simple transistor as the switch, a capacitor charged by the piezo to keep the transistor on (and the backlight), and a

resister to blead current from the capacitor to turn it off, with the right resister/capacitor to give about 20 seconds of on time.

I have built electronic switchs with auto shut off for small battery powered radios(music) and LED activate relay/transistors, so I will combine

the two to make a ,,,,"Auto activated Tx backlight" with auto turn off (about +-20 seconds). Cost to make,,,,about $2.

I plan on making some to sell at low cost, I just hope Anthony Hand doesn't beat me to it.

Cheers
joe
Last edited by Aussie Joe on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:39 pm

My solution switch cost 25p (actually free from old 27 Meg transmitters I bought for stick units at RC show).
Advantages turn off and on at will.
Developing and programming time 0 seconds.
Installation time 10 mins (deciding where to drill hole).
Attachments
Switch.JPG
Switch.JPG (220.89 KiB) Viewed 19140 times
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby FlyingTiger » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 pm

My solution switch cost 25p (actually free from old 27 Meg transmitters I bought for stick units at RC show).
Advantages turn off and on at will.
Developing and programming time 0 seconds.
Installation time 10 mins (deciding where to drill hole).

I did the same thing. A perfect solution. I got the add-on board from Smartiparts but I thought the backlight was too dim, so I reinstalled the HK backlight with the addition of the toggle switch and I couldn't be happier with the results.
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby westy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 am

Hey all,

I will try the EP9X flash first and see where that goes first..... and will also see if I can change the voltage warning buzzer so I can do hte 2 x 3.7V LI-ION upgrade that is mentioned in RCMODEL REVIEWS PROJECTS
Cheers,
Will keep you updated.
westy

Postby Keith » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:01 am

No need to do anything to volts buzzer.... With ER9x you just set the volts to any setting you want... I got mine at 7v... Use an external souce to test the voltage of the batteries when you fit them, then set the battery calibration to that setting... Switch on system and change buzzer warning setting....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby westy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:14 am

Awesome.....

Any reason why I should not just use a 7.2V 2 cell Lipo?

I have gone a spare one .... and also have a decent balance charger.

Cheers
Westy
westy

Postby Keith » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 am

No... you can use any power source you want, within reason.... I used lipos but kept leaving it on and ruining them... So I switched back...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby westy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 pm

Good Point... Will do the Upgrade to the 2 x 3.7 one on this site. Only a couple of bucks from Hong Kong through Ebay
westy

Return to Radios and Servos