Frsky telemetry module fitted to Turnigy 9x

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Frsky telemetry module fitted to Turnigy 9x

Postby quarry44 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:00 am

Received my telemetry module,so took a few pics to show fitting for those having doubts about the ease of conversion.
First off I drilled the holes for the led and binding button.I used the nameplate area,as it seemed just made for the panel.Also 2 2mm holes for fitting screws.You could actually glue the panel in with hot glue,but I thought I'd make the effort to tidy things up a bit 8-)
Since there was plenty of room,I decided the 2way switch could fit neatly beside it.
Here's how it looks from the front.Unfortunately,it also shows the moulding lug,but you'll have to look past that.
Next I soldered the 3 wires in place on the board.From top to bottom:ppm-yellow,negative-black,positive-red.
It's not in the photo,but i secured the wires at the edge of the board with a dab of hot glue.See,Bruce,I do listen to you :lol:
You do need to be a bit careful here,the lands are close together!
Finally,the whole module in place.
And finally,finally,success.all working as it should.
Hope these pics will help anyone who's a bit unsure.As long as you have a smallish soldering iron(mine's a 40 year old 25watt X-Acto jobbie),it's easy peasy.
Awaiting bouquets and brickbats about butchery,etc. :mrgreen:
quarry44

Re: Frsky telemetry module fitted to Turnigy 9x

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:18 am

If you use countersunk screw heads, you can put a flat label on the front with holes for the switch and led which will give a better cosmetic appearance, no criticism implied!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Keith » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 am

I found it a bit tight for space when I closed it back up... Gimbles were getting fouled mainly....

So what I did was fitted into the original module... Had to do some cutting to make it fit but it worked...

Also I did not need to solder to the board, I just soldered to the pins the module plugs into...

Will get some pics when I get chance....
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 am

I also added the Frsky in the existing module case.
Mine was the now discontinued version with the two small switches on the control board and a button with a red and green surface mounted LED's.
Attachments
Inside module.JPG
Inside module.JPG (118.79 KiB) Viewed 19390 times
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby quarry44 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:17 pm

Neat fitting job,guys.Did You connect the Frsky wire to the turnigy aerial?That would seem to be a problem,as the frsky aerial wire is quite short.I did not want to muck about with that in case it affected reception.
quarry44

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:38 pm

No I drilled a big enough hole to get the connector through in the back of the module and the TX case adjacent.
I screwed the connector to the aerial after putting the wire up through the aerial hole and pushed it back through from outside the case giving it a hot glue on the last bit of the aerial as it could go no further through.
Be careful to screw the connector totally tight as you can loose a lot of RF if the connection is poor.
There's more on this link from June on how others did it:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=945#p7091
Attachments
Aerial.JPG
Aerial.JPG (52.14 KiB) Viewed 19359 times

BillGriffiths100

Postby msev » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 am

So the frsky diy module has a buzzer on it as I see from the pictures...Is it loud enough to be heard when it's inside the transmitter?
What is the purpose of that switch?
msev

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:14 pm

There is no buzzer... The switch is for telemetry... One way or two way communication..
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:44 pm

The sounder on the board (bottom left hand side in my picture) makes beeps, it beeps when you set the fail-safe and when there is a warning alarm such as going out of range.

BillGriffiths100

Return to Radios and Servos