Frsky gone?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Frsky gone?

Postby Winger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Where did Frsky go?. Can't find their website and Hobby King is running out of stock. :(
Winger

Re: Frsky gone?

Postby kaptain_zero » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm

http://www.frsky-rc.com/ is still there. As for stock at HK and other places.... I suspect it's simply that demand is outstripping supply at the moment, as after all... FrSky makes some very nice stuff.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Winger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks , for some reason it wasn't coming up on the internet, but it is now. I feel better as I'm flying Frsky modules in my transmitters.
Winger

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 am

kaptain_zero wrote:http://www.frsky-rc.com/ is still there. As for stock at HK and other places.... I suspect it's simply that demand is outstripping supply at the moment, as after all... FrSky makes some very nice stuff.

Regards

Christian

I hope you are right. I have read recently in a major paper here in Oz (The Age) that some manufacturers are being pressured to blacklist internet stores that sell at such low prices that they are seriously damaging large retail outlets...and some suppliers have buckled and done just that.

There has been some worried talk at my club about the sudden lack of in-stock items at HobbyKing for example. One chap who has gone the Turnigy 9x/FrSky/er9x path is peeved that his orders are taking so long to come into stock (though his SmartyParts board is on its way...they had something like 200 boards in stock one week and then, all gone, so the whole FrSky/Turnigy 9x system must be popular as all get out, as you say).

I've been unable to source simple things like ESCs from HobbyKing of late, everything seems to be on backorder.

Oh great gods of model planes and related goodies, please oh please don't let HobbyKing get into difficulties!!!!
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:57 am

Yes, it does seem that HK is having more and more problems keeping things in stock. But...... it's not all that long ago when it was HobbyKing in China only. Now we have HK AUS, HK USA, HK EU etc. and that's a whole lot more warehouses to fill up with goods, never mind the fact that the stuff is flying off the shelf at these prices and with these local warehouses, more purchasers, who may not have been willing to order from the Mother warehouse, might feel better about one located in their own country. I'm a bit miffed that I can't order from HK USA, but have to order from China instead.

Your point about the Smartieparts board is a case in point. It is not the cheap way to program a 9X, but rather the premium cost way..... the initial manufacturing runs were I think about 75 boards at a time.... and they lasted a week or two after backorders were filled. Now they come in lots of 200 and just the backorders are wiping out the entire order! Even HK has gotten in on the act and started stocking programmers, the very ones selling like hotcakes on Ebay. So I'm pretty sure it's simply word of mouth and the fact that as the 9x's and the FrSky units show up at more and more flying fields and show that they are very very capable, only drives up the demand for more. Ramping up production is underway I'm sure... but nobody is going to scale up faster than they are comfortable with. There will come a time when demand will start to drop as the market saturates..... The only way to avoid that is planned obsolescence and I expect the 9x will be replaced and I would suspect that FrSky might just start selling full units and not just the modules.

These are interesting times for sure.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby ergocentric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Sid Sideslip wrote: that some manufacturers are being pressured to blacklist internet stores that sell at such low prices that they are seriously damaging large retail outlets...and some suppliers have buckled and done just that.

You Australians must have been standing on your head too long, that statement is so illegal it makes my teeth ache. (net neutrality, price fixing, censorship...)
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Return to Radios and Servos