Prop balancers

Have you had really good or really bad service from a supplier? Tell everyone here.

Re: Prop balancers

Postby Kris » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:29 pm

I own both the Top Flite prop balancer and a Dubro, and find both of them are very handy for specific applications.
Kris

Postby Shotglass » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:29 am

ive yet to actually see much of a point in these
i find larger props are usually balanced well enough out of the box and ive never had a problem with them
and smaller props which are often times horrible are imho best balanced by just running the motor and adding strips of tesa until it stops rattling
Shotglass

Postby Kris » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:34 am

Yes that is probably another way to get to the same end. I'm not sure how would you balance the prop hub with just running the motor?
I just like my toys and tools that go with them.
Kris

Postby Shotglass » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:31 am

since the hub and the prop would obviously be mounted on the motor during that process the both get balanced at the same time

i sort of see the point of owning a balancer if you have gas planes which probably make it hard to hear and see if the prop is unbalanced but with an electric just running the motor with everything mounted makes it abundantly clear whether or not the prop is balanced
Shotglass

Postby Kris » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:07 pm

I guess what I'm wandering is how do you know witch side of the hub is heavy and witch one is light. Maybe I should just try and do it?
Kris

Postby kaptain_zero » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 pm

I prefer to balance on a balancer, even when using electrics. Then again, when you are in the field.... there are other ways. Here's a nice video with some quick tips (they only mention it briefly, but they do mention how to balance a mounted prop on a plane. Put tape on one side, if it vibrates worse, you put the tape on the wrong side!): http://goo.gl/fFCwm

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Kris » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 pm

I guessed as much it simply is a trial and error way of doing it. It sure will work in a pinch.
Kris

Postby jomac » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:45 pm

I would be interested in Bruce's version, i have a lathe awaiting...i'd PM him direct, but as a newbie, im not sure if he bites!!.. ;)
A person who makes no mistakes, learns nothing!
jomac

Previous

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)