Fascination 15 meets mother earth on 2nd flight

Did you dumb-thumb it or was luck just not on your side. Whatever the reason, tell us all about your (or other's) crashes here.

Fascination 15 meets mother earth on 2nd flight

Postby hiTmanhiT » Tue May 25, 2010 5:02 pm

So I bought a Fascination 15 from a guy at the local field on Sunday.
Seemed like a nice flying plane, and got it for a OK price. He had a O.S .25 in it, and it didn't go too fast, so I decided to buy it and put my Evolution .36 in it.

So I went home and put the engine in it, put some tape over the hinges to avoid flutter. And put a Futaba 35mhz receiver in it.
Also had to put some coins in the tail to get it balanced with this engine.

This was also my first run with the Evo .36 engine. So before I went to the field, I tried out the engine a bit.
And my, I was impressed. One flip on the propeller, and it started, and ran like a beauty. Some minor adjustments on the needles needed of course, but not much.
It is said that you don't need to break in this engines, but I dont trust that fully, and keep it a little bit on the rich side.

Then the next day I was ready for my first flight with this tiny plane. Did some final adjustments on the engine, and got it running quite good.
Got it handlaunched as I removed the wheels(dont want to loose any speed!) and I could already sense that something was wrong. It was VERY unstable and I had to keep the speed up, and it was very touchy on the sticks(appearantly not enough expo). And it was way tailheavy. So after a shaky flight, I got it to the ground with a nice bellylanding. No harm to the plane.

So then I removed some of the coins in the tail, and got it balanced. Appearantly I had missed the CG the day before(no idea why, but thats what happens when you do things in a rush...)
Then ready for my second flight. Got some more expo as well.
Got it in the air easily, and now I could sense that this plane was flying like it should. And I had some nice rounds with it. THEN all of a sudden, glitches.
It started to glitch, often (maybe 15 secs between each glitch, or more). So I felt I had no choice but to take it in for landing, and so I did. And of course, right as I was on the approach, not many seconds before landing, it glitched again, the wingtip touched the ground, and the whole plane broke in half right after.

I have no idea why this happened. I have used the receiver before, and not had any problems with it.
Never had glitch-issues with 35mhz before either. But after this, im not sure if I'll take a plane in the air with 35mhz ever again, and just buy myself a 2.4ghz system.

What do you think caused this glitching?
Wouldn't mind if you could give me some tips on what is the "best" and cheapest 2.4ghz system either :)

Got some pics of the "wreck" as well. All of the equipment seems to be unharmed. And the plane is totally rebuildable, which I probably will do.
Visit my Youtube channel for awesome RC-videos from Norway!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hiTmanhiT92
hiTmanhiT

Re: Fascination 15 meets mother earth on 2nd flight

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 pm

That looks totally repairable -- I've repaired much worse and (fortunately) I actually enjoy repairing more than building.

It's hard to say what was causing your glitching, far too many variables to consider.

As for what's cheap/best (usually those two are mutually exclusive) I think it depends on what you're looking for in an RC system.

Are you talking about a whole new transmitter/receiver(s) or just an upgrade to your existing 35MHz radio?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hiTmanhiT » Tue May 25, 2010 10:50 pm

Yes, it is very much repairable. Won't take much effort to fix it.

But I was thinking to just get rid of my 35mhz equipment, and buy all new 2.4ghz with transmitter and receiver(s).
My Futaba 7C does not have an external module unfortunatley, or else that would be the cheapest way out..

So if you got some good ideas, bring'em on! Won't need more than 7-9 channels :)

Thank you very much!
hiTmanhiT

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 25, 2010 11:12 pm

You could use a DIY-kit to convert your 7C to 2.4GHz. In fact, you could even set it up so that it would still work on 35MHz *and* 2.4GHz as needed.

FrSky, FlyDream, Assan and Corona all make DIY 2.4GHz modules that can be fitted inside your radio's case.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hiTmanhiT » Wed May 26, 2010 11:32 am

Oh! Was not aware of that!
Will definetley do that! Since you have reviewed FrSky as pretty good stuff, I consider this. Unless you got some better suggestions?

Will probably order from himodel pretty soon then!
hiTmanhiT

Return to Crashes