JR Unlimited 8 conversion to 2.4Gig

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

JR Unlimited 8 conversion to 2.4Gig

Postby oldtimer143 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:57 am

Hi Bruce and others,
I've got three old JR Unlimited 8 transmitters from the early 80's that I've been holding onto for a very long time now - because I just love the way they feel in my hands, and they were always very reliable and robust - but I really need to do something with them or they will just take up space for nothing.

Are any of the current JR compatible 2.4Gig module conversions suitable for these radios? I tried the Spektrum a year ago, but the pins in the transmitter were too thin to make good contact with the module's sockets and I couldn't get it to work. Am I flogging a dead horse here? If it is possible, I'd love to go with telemetry of some kind. I've got a JR DSX9 for regular flying, so would be looking to set up the JR U8's for specific models just for fun.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Greg
There's no such thing as gravity...... the earth sucks!
oldtimer143

Re: JR Unlimited 8 conversion to 2.4Gig

Postby oldtimer143 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Bruce, I'm back on the trail of converting my JR Unlimited 8 transmitters.... Been a while, and I've tried both the Spectrum and FrSky modules, but there seems to be some problem with fit and neither of them worked reliably. Now, I've purchased the FrSky DHT kit and I'm about to hardwire the transmitter.

However, when I open the back of the transmitter, I'm faced with a myriad of transistors, ICs and wiring, as this is definitely an old school transmitter, and there is no obvious way to locate the PPM signal wire, let alone the power and earth. I'm wondering if I can use the pins in the back of the transmitter in the module bay? As there is no module to go back in, how do I tell which pin will do the trick for me? I'm assuming the pin order hasn't changed over the years and that all the modules are the same in this respect.

Thanks mate. If I can get this to work, I'll convert the other couple of Unlimited transmitters I currently have and get them all flying. I can hardly wait.

Cheers,
Greg
There's no such thing as gravity...... the earth sucks!
oldtimer143

Return to Radios and Servos