Servo Power Options

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Servo Power Options

Postby Bruce ITPS » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:43 am

Given that I have a weak and feeble receiver... suppose I wanted to use a bunch of high torque (high current) servos? Is it possible to run a busbar (UBEC?) with which to power the servos separate from the receiver and only attach the signal line to the separately powered receiver?

Any input would be welcome even the one that says its a dumb idea.

Cheers
Bruce ITPS

Re: Servo Power Options

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:51 am

Yes perfectly possible if you do this you must common the ground (negative) supplies otherwise the rx signal will just float, leading to some interesting results.
However your "weak and feeble receiver"only passes current to the servos via the two strips of pcb connecting all the positive supplies and the ground supplies on the receiver board.
Some people just beef these up by soldering wire up the strips to boost current carrying capacity or just a continuous bead of solder along the track. (Also using a sufficiently rated switch mode BEC).
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Bruce ITPS » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:27 am

Thanks for that. The experiment continues!
Bruce ITPS

Postby jeepaspe » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:04 am

I agree with you, thanks for your sharing.
How to develop the scan code ordering system
jeepaspe

Return to Radios and Servos