DLE 20cc

If you want to see a product reviewed on RCModelReviews, make your suggestion here and, if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do.

DLE 20cc

Postby hazzbro » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 pm

I just ordered one on blind faith. We'll not totally blind but there are some good initial results on the FG site. It's a rail mount 20cc with supposedly the performance of a Saito 125 - 2-stroke 120....we'll see about that. They designed the motor to drop into the same mount/space as a 120 glow motor. I paid $270 US for mine but rumor has it they will be less than that once the initial rush on them is over. Here's a video of it flying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svVlezIX0eg made by the company I ordered my engine from.

I'll be putting it into my EE60 3D profile plane as soon as it arrives (end of August hopefully) and will report back on it's performance, etc. The plane now has a Saito 100 in it so I'll have a good comparison between the two motors as far as performance, weight, fuel consumption, etc.

I'd rather see a detailed review of this engine though as I think, if it's as good as it seems, many will be wanting one.

Hazz
hazzbro

Re: DLE 20cc

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Keep us informed Hazz, I might have to review the DLE20 myself -- now to find a decent slab to put one in :-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby hazzbro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Getting closer....Tower Hobbies is now listing them and have more information than most sites about the motor:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXAEPW&P=7
hazzbro

Postby hazzbro » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Flew the DLE this week at Nashbro for a total of around 15 tanks...not yet broken in but looking very good. Burned about 2/3rds of a gallon so far and will shortly switch to all synthetic. Got home and then when back to our local field this afternoon and got some numbers on the current prop on the DLE 20...

Fuel: 87 octane with 27-28:1 Stihl HP non-synthetic oil
Prop: Xoar 17x6
Tach: 8,350 rpm
Static thrust: 13lbs 11oz

Looking great so far. I'm also running a 6oz tank and it uses about 2/3rds of the tank in about 9-10 mins of hard 3D flying.
The motor has great power and leaves my Saito 100 in the dust (was on the same plane). It raised the overall weight to just under 7lbs but yanks it around like a ragdoll with no adverse flight effects to the plane. The only thing I not comfortable yet with is the low end throttle control...it's either on power or off. I think a lot of this will improve as the motor continues to break in and when I switch the oil over to a higher ratio synthetic. So far it's been run with these props:

Zinger 16x8 - stinks, no power, way low on thrust
APC 17x4W 3D prop - decent but the idle transition was terrible, 9700 rpm!
Xoar 16x8 - Good prop but not as much thrust on the high end as the next one...
Xoar 17x6 - Hands down the best prop so far. Great punch out of hover, great top end, improved low end but more to come on this....

Video of Caveman flying my EE60 with the DLE 20cc and a Xoar 16x8 prop....wish I'd taped the Xoar 17x6 flights!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtniC-b87qA
hazzbro

Postby jet760 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Bruce any ETA on the telemetry video?
Dave
jet760

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:38 pm

I think I've got all the niggly little issues sorted and now I am (yet again) waiting for the wind to subside.

We've had 40k winds here since the weekend and it's been bitterly cold. Wind chill temp of 2 degrees at 9am.

Once you factor in the wind, it's colder now than it was in mid-winter!
RCModelReviews

Postby hazzbro » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Got a little more time on this last Sunday afternoon. I adjusted the linkages to give me less throw initially and worked on the throttle curve (Hitec Aurora 9). Now the low end is very smooth with great throttle transition!
I got this combination working just as the winds picked up and, on the next flight, broke my only Xoar 17x6 prop (only one I took with me to the field to). So, when the next break in the weather occurs I'll get some more video of this combination down on the deck.
hazzbro

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:26 am

Good stuff -- as soon as the budget allows, I'll be getting a DLE20 to review and test.

All I need now is a suitable airframe!

Wondering if I should fork out for a suitably sized SBach profile ;-)
RCModelReviews

Postby hazzbro » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:57 am

Forget that,

Check your PM's!
hazzbro

Postby Violatchell » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:49 am

We all have dreams of what we want to be when we grow up. Sometimes, those goals change and it can be difficult to know which education is right for you. If you're having trouble deciding on a major, the DLE 20cc program may help! The DLE 20cc grab my essay reviews program offers an introduction into various majors so that students can decide which degree will suit their needs best.
Violatchell

Next

Return to Suggest a review